Old June 23rd 05, 03:38 AM
garigue

First of all John I see little humor in this discussion bringing into the
mix those poor souls with Alzheimer's syndrome ..... It is like the idiot
who posts here with references to colostomy bags ...... I sincerely hope
that either of you never have to go through that in your lives.

Wow. A LECTURE!

No lecture the Mr. Len just that I can't see injecting this in to the mix

Tom, try to calm down and look at the big picture. Growing
dementia ("Alzheimer's") in older people and is a terrible
thing to observe up-close and personal. I'm quite familiar with
that, having watched my own mother go through that, little bit
by little bit every day, the last four years of her life in a
nursing home. I visited her every day and could see others in
the same hospital succumb slowly...and share the inner turmoil
of their family and friends watching their loved ones.

Then I am sure you would agree that we do not need to name call and use
those problems as a source of a cheap shot....

The
same with those other patients having various physical damage
from injury or illness. Three hundred beds in that one
single-floor facility, seen every day.

Am I lecturing you Leonard ????..don't think so ... I just don't like to
see peoples misfortunes utilized for cheap shots for whatever reasons ....
I really think that we on this group are ALL above that.

Go ahead, make my day, try to lecture ME on "taking all that so
very, very seriously" about handicaps and illnesses...

Again where did you pull that from Len .... did I say you took those shots
as mentioned above ???? Don't put words in my mouth there Len ..... the
post was not addressed to LA

I am still awaiting John for specifics on what you have done to foster

an
appreciation in younger people for the service.

Not a requirement of amateur radio licensing, Tom.

Quite right Len but as a "hobby" don't we have a bit....just a bit of
responsiblity to help others .....I have seen your postings on other groups
where you have done the same .....and not to be patronizing but to your
credit.

General bitching about the way things are won't cut it ...that my friend

is
too easy and is the tact of a pontificating twit.

...and you are as guilty as anything of doing the SAME
"pontificating" about Alzheimer's suffering.

Just as you brought your poor mom into the mix ???????

Nope general bitching is just that .....give me some positives .....

It's no more, no less of a pontification than all the high and
mighty amateur extras in here praising the glory and majesty
and "necessity" of morse code testing or rank-status-privilege
"due them" in a HOBBY activity involving radio.

Now Len you don't know me that well do you ..... I do not consider myself
the morse elite ......I have suggested things in the past regarding the
place the mode, excuse me protocol, could be better served not only for the
amature service but for CW itself ....

Yesterday was a day I
will always remember at our club meeting. Matt, a teen with a LD passed

his
no code. He studied his backside off for the test ....took it 3 times
before. I have more respect for that young fellow than incessant

moaners I
see on this list and in other places.

Now that's just a wonderful thing...out of the blue comes a nice
MORAL LECTURE about a younger person "overcoming all obstacles"
"despite physical handicaps" "working hard, hard, hard to pass
a test." Reads like second-rate Reader's Digest material.

No Len it reads like a person despite some real problems showing some
inititive and passing a test honestly. Your second rate Reader's Digest
comment is a cheap shot. And may I add CW had nothing to do with this test
as Matt got his No-code tech .....

I've never met that young person, Tom, just like YOU have never
met hundreds of other sufferers of various things...which I don't
mention in here because they don't apply to THE SUBJECTS AT HAND
either.

Oh no look out here comes the off topic lecture ..... The above comments
were taken from and about the discussions on this group. Please point out
to me where my comment have not been ...THE SUBJECT AT HAND .....

At stake is some federal regulations regarding amateur radio, a
HOBBY activity, a recreational pursuit done for personal
enjoyment. "Overcoming obstacles" is NOT a part of the overall
picture.

Oh yes it is Leonard ...look at the Handiham program and what is done there
...... those people aren't overcoming obstacles ???? I have worked many
people on the air who have multiple problems where this "hobby" has been a
source of enjoyment over the years.

Morality lectures to others don't help a bit...except
to cure the lecturer's mild rage at others not taking things
so damn "seriously" as the lecturer does.

No rage here Leonard ....just discussion .....and as far as taking things
seriously on this group .....the overwhelming number of Leonard posts over
the years sure bears whose rage is in this arena.

Oh, wow, "overcoming the obstacle of learning morse code!"

Where in the heck have I mentioned anythng about overcoming the obstacles of
CW in this latest round of comments????? Again trying to put words in
my mouth Len ....please don't do that ...it really is good engineering
practice ......

Terrific emotionally-loaded over-limit baggage. The real question
ought to be the TEST itself and why it "must" be passed just to
enjoy a radio hobby below 30 MHz.

Have any of my posts with in the last several years reflected the CW or die
mentality ?????

But, that isn't a thing for you
or anyone else who has already passed that TEST, is it? The real
purpose is to keep on with the myth where "hard, hard WORK" is
such a "moral necessity" and perhaps - in a screwball perverse
way - somehow closer to Godliness?

Here we go again with the church of CW ......frankly I am tired of this tact
....it belongs with CW always gets through and the old buddywhip-standard
transmission saw ....

I've known, seen, been around all sorts of folks with handicaps,
just as I've already legally and successfully operated on HF in
five other radio services other than amateur radio. Any TEST
for a LICENSE is just a regulatory tool of the federal government.

Maybe not for you and your position in the radio kingdom but for many it is
an achievement and I for one will not belittle those who worked for and
achieved a ticket honestly ...no matter what class it is ....

That license is NOT an academic achievement, is NOT soem magic
talisman that one "Must" posssess in order to operate any radio
transmitter below 30 MHz. Morsemanship isn't a "qualification"
to operate below 30 MHz...I was long-ago perfectly qualified to
operate a radio transmitter below 30 MHz without morse code smarts
and did. That morse TEST is an artificiality of old-time emotion
that has long-since passed its usefulness. The TEST itself, and
the license, is just a regulatory tool...for a radio HOBBY.

Well Len I will go along with most of that except that the govinmint says it
is a service ....na I don't want to get in to that argument .....better
things to do ....

Those who want to preach a ham radio LIFESTYLE will be outraged
at the above. TS. I got a new punch and am set for lots of
cards. I'm a bit sick and tired of these emotionally-loaded
MORALITY plays by the self-righteous unfolding in this stage.
A lot of readers are feeling the same way. Put on a bad
performance and you get bad reviews. TS. That's show biz...

I am not outraged Len ... bad reviews ....could care less ......my lifestyle
does not revolve around hamradio ..... nor does it revolve around incessant
posting about worn out arguments over the last number of years as apparently
yours has .....

Take care Leonard ....beep beep ......