Old January 25th 04, 02:03 PM
AComarow

I discovered that I do have .pdf files of Steve Strong's chassis holders, both
the small and large versions. Anybody who wants to see them should email me off
the list.

Avery W3AVE
Potomac, Md.

Subject: Poor man's chassis holder
From: (AComarow)
Date: 1/24/04 7:10 AM Eastern Standard Time

"Mike Knudsen" wrote in message
For years I have put off repairing my Philco 38-116, because its huge

chassis
has projecting studs that prevent it from resting on its sides on the

bench. I
will probably sell this radio (console) as-is before building something to

hold
the chassis.
--Mike K.

Mike and others,

While this isn't as cheap as brackets or magnets, a wonderful solution is a
wooden chassis holder crafted by a retired vocational drafting instructor in
Oklahoma City named Steve Strong. He has two sizes, a small one for your
ordinary chassis dimensions, and a large one for TV chassis and those from
consoles or other oversized products. I have both. If I remember right, the
small one is about $30 plus shipping and the large one about $40 or $45. They
are rugged and beautifully made, worth far more. You won't believe the
craftsmanship.

The chassis is secured to the holder with metal brackets bolted to the
underside. It's easier to see than explain. Once in place, the chassis can be
rotated through 360 degrees and fixed in place to work on.

Get in touch with Steve and ask him to send a .pdf file, which will give you
better idea than my description can. Say I said Hi. His email address is
.

Good luck!

Avery W3AVE
Potomac, Md.