Old July 10th 05, 03:44 PM
Dave Piggin

I do plan to add a fair number of guys, and will be installing them just as
you have suggested. I do have a question about driving the 1 1/8" mounting
tube into the earth. The directions give a warning about splitting the
plastic insert and suggest placing a piece of wood on top of the tube and
then hammer on the wood. The soil here is clay, and the ground is
quite dry,
at the present time. Do you, or anyone else, have any suggestions about
driving the tube into the ground. Should I drive a wooden stake first to
form a hole, remove the stake, and then drive the tube into the hole
left by
the stake?

Post Hole/fencing Borer comes to mind or depending on your current soil
condition you could use a hose pipe with a tube inserted in the tip and
bore a hole that way, albeit fairly high pressure is needed, but that
could be achieved with a pressure washer. As you start off your bound to
be soaked a bit, but as you [bore deeper] push/ pull the nozzle out of
the hole so that excess soil/clay can be removed by the water, bore down
to your required depth, insert pole and back fill with sand or tamp down
soil sides. This is also one way to ensure you can get a decent enough
hole, deep enough to insert a earth stake. Your idea of utilising a hole
by driving in a stake would no doubt give you problems extracting it
back out again as I assume that you would be requiring a depth of about
900mm? Dave d:-)

--
Amateur Radio Call Sign M1BTI, Located in Manchester England.
Locator square IO83TK