Old July 23rd 05, 03:41 AM
John Smith

Fat people would look a lot better and be healthier by losing just 10
pounds a month...

.... just about as much chance as someone studying a worthless means of
communication as that...

.... well, I did, but I am kinda slow, by the time I passed the test it
was too late to protest effectively! ROFLOL!!!

John

"garigue" wrote in message

"Joe Guthart" wrote in message
I am glad the FCC finally took charge of the situation and decided
to drop the code requirements. Here's why ...

I like Amateur Radio and want it to be a life-long hobby for me ...
however, I just plainly can't take time to effectively study the code
at this point in my life.

10 min a night Joe would get you there in several weeks ..... don't
have to be an expert just 5 wpm .....

I think my story is pretty common for most of the new people
entering Amateur Radio today. I am a 43 year old married father of
three children. I have a background in Aerospace Engineering and my
full time work is in the high technology sector working with many well
known computing infrastructure companies. I got my Technician
license about two and a half years ago because it was a neat little
challenge for me to combine radio communications with some of the
newer digital modes. Basically, it was fun, not really technical
challenging, but a nice way to relax.

Exactly Joe it is a good way to relax ....... if it were work then I
wouldn't be doing it ......

I do enjoy making contacts on 6 meters. I would play around with
some different radio, antenna, and computer configurations and started
to develop a relationship with some fellow ham buddies. Soon I became
limited with the VHF/UHF band and wanted to hop onto HF. Of course,
by the current rules one would have to jump on and take on learning
Morse Code. I am absolutely sure I could do this if I had enough
time. Having an ongoing career and being a family man, doesn't really
leave a whole lot of time to practice dits and dahs. I have actually
played around with the code

10 min a night for several weeks would get the job done quite well
..... no problem for 5 wpm

Finally, I honor all those of you who are code proficient.

Joe .... honor the vets not people who have a simple skill .....
proficient ???? I don't have a good answer for that except 5 WPM is
proficient for a 5 WPM op ....

I too may one day still be code proficient even if there is no
formal testing.

Good Joe as you will be missing out on one "relaxing" mode .....
excuse me protocol ..... I look forward to seeing you on the lower
edges .......

However, I do think that the right decision has been made by the
FCC and will ultimately be finalized with little changes. This will
not kill our hobby, but will inject more life into it.

Joe I wish I could agree with you but I just don't see how that will
happen ........ unless testing is done away with entirely.
However if it does .......I will buy all a virtual beer on this
group.

73's to All,

Joe / KG4YJS

Take care Joe ...73 Tom Popovic KI3R Belle Vernon Pa.