Old July 27th 05, 08:00 PM
Joe Guthart

Default Vertical (Butternut, Titan) vs Carolina Windom

I'm starting to explore getting a new antenna for HF ... thus far the options that I've looked at are a vertical ground mount with a counterpoise kit (can't really do radials in my yard). The models that have come up often are the Butternut HF9V and the Gap Titan. Both seem similar. The Butternut's are more expensive and the Gap Titan seems to have good reviews and then has a few folks who say it's worthless. Alternatively, I've looked at a horizontal such as a Carolina Windom. The problem I have with this is that I only have one large tree to tie off to. To do a horizontal right, I would have to have to use a mast for the other end. I've also heard and seen several people that have used some of the break apart masts to do this and they have ended up with a broken mast.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.