Old July 27th 05, 08:00 PM
Joe Guthart

Default Vertical (Butternut, Titan) vs Carolina Windom

I'm starting to explore getting a new antenna for HF ... thus far the options that I've looked at are a vertical ground mount with a counterpoise kit (can't really do radials in my yard). The models that have come up often are the Butternut HF9V and the Gap Titan. Both seem similar. The Butternut's are more expensive and the Gap Titan seems to have good reviews and then has a few folks who say it's worthless. Alternatively, I've looked at a horizontal such as a Carolina Windom. The problem I have with this is that I only have one large tree to tie off to. To do a horizontal right, I would have to have to use a mast for the other end. I've also heard and seen several people that have used some of the break apart masts to do this and they have ended up with a broken mast.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old July 28th 05, 02:49 AM
Bob Nielsen

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:00:25 -0400, Joe Guthart wrote:

I'm starting to explore getting a new antenna for HF ... thus far the options that I've looked at are a vertical ground mount with a counterpoise kit (can't really do radials in my yard). The models that have come up often are the Butternut HF9V and the Gap Titan. Both seem similar. The Butternut's are more expensive and the Gap Titan seems to have good reviews and then has a few folks who say it's worthless. Alternatively, I've looked at a horizontal such as a Carolina Windom. The problem I have with this is that I only have one large tree to tie off to. To do a horizontal right, I would have to have to use a mast for the other end. I've also heard and seen several people that have used some of the break apart masts to do this and they have ended up with a broken mast.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2668" name=GENERATOR
STYLE/STYLE
/HEAD
BODY bgColor=#ffffff
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2I'm starting to explore getting a new antenna for
HF ... thus far the options that I've looked at are a vertical ground mount with
a counterpoise kit (can't really do radials in my yard).  The models that
have come up often are the Butternut HF9V and the Gap Titan.  Both seem
similar.  The Butternut's are more expensive and the Gap Titan seems to
have good reviews and then has a few folks who say it's worthless.
Alternatively, I've looked at a horizontal such as a Carolina Windom.  The
problem I have with this is that I only have one large tree to tie off to.
To do a horizontal right, I would have to have to use a mast for the other
end.  I've also heard and seen several people that have used some of the
break apart masts to do this and they have ended up with a broken
mast.  /FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks./FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2/FONT /DIV
DIV /DIV/BODY/HTML

------=_NextPart_000_014E_01C592BB.EB6A0260--

Two points of advice:

1. Don't post in HTML!

2. Take a look at the Cushcraft R8 and the Hy-Gain AV-640 (which is
similar, but has no traps). You also might want to study the K7LXC/N0AX
report on verticals at http://www.championradio.com. This report
compares measurements of several popular verticals.

73, Bob N7XY

Old July 28th 05, 12:10 PM
Thierry

"Joe Guthart" wrote in message
I'm starting to explore getting a new antenna for HF ... thus far the
options that I've looked at are a vertical ground mount with a counterpoise
kit (can't really do radials in my yard). The models that have come up
often are the Butternut HF9V and the Gap Titan. Both seem similar. The
Butternut's are more expensive and the Gap Titan seems to have good reviews
and then has a few folks who say it's worthless. Alternatively, I've looked
at a horizontal such as a Carolina Windom. The problem I have with this is
that I only have one large tree to tie off to. To do a horizontal right, I
would have to have to use a mast for the other end. I've also heard and
seen several people that have used some of the break apart masts to do this
and they have ended up with a broken mast.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

---

Hi Joe,

I worked with a Hi-Gain vertical placed 10m high for Dxing and a G5RV and
carolina windom (30-40m long) at 100W SSB.
Based on my exprience, as it, the advantage goes definetly to the vertical
due to its omnidirectional pattern (even placed at ground level with
radials).

Dipoles display a leaf radiation pattern which is a plus vs. the vertical
but there are set in specific directions and elevations which is not always
interesting if you want to reach a specific DX zone.
In my case for example the windom was tied NE-SW in ON so I had difficulties
to work USA over the eastern coast, even canada, middle east, africa and
farer.
Of course, from time to time I reached XE, PY, YB at eve and even VK on
mornings but it was sometimes hard
(mainly due to kW-users !!).
The vertical segment of the OCF is a plus vs. e.g. a G5RV as it emits at
360°, adding some lobes in troughs of the OCF radiation pattern. Thus
gobally, I have found the OCF offering almost an omnidirectional pattern
http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry/Radi...iation-pattern.
gif
and working better than my multiband dipole but not as good as the 1/4L
vertical.
Now if you can rotate your dipole or OCF, I would use it instead of the
vertical.

73
Thierry, ON4SKY
http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry/menu-qsl.htm

Old July 29th 05, 12:14 AM
Butch Magee

Joe Guthart wrote:
I'm starting to explore getting a new antenna for HF ... thus far the
options that I've looked at are a vertical ground mount with a
counterpoise kit (can't really do radials in my yard). The models that
have come up often are the Butternut HF9V and the Gap Titan. Both seem
similar. The Butternut's are more expensive and the Gap Titan seems to
have good reviews and then has a few folks who say it's worthless.
Alternatively, I've looked at a horizontal such as a Carolina Windom.
The problem I have with this is that I only have one large tree to tie
off to. To do a horizontal right, I would have to have to use a mast
for the other end. I've also heard and seen several people that have
used some of the break apart masts to do this and they have ended up
with a broken mast.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can't go wrong with either antenna. Do know that the Titan comes in
two versions one for 80 and one for 75. Do not use your tuner with the
Titan, It's all in the directions You will love either one of 'em.

Butch KF5DE