Old July 29th 05, 12:14 AM
Butch Magee

Joe Guthart wrote:
I'm starting to explore getting a new antenna for HF ... thus far the
options that I've looked at are a vertical ground mount with a
counterpoise kit (can't really do radials in my yard). The models that
have come up often are the Butternut HF9V and the Gap Titan. Both seem
similar. The Butternut's are more expensive and the Gap Titan seems to
have good reviews and then has a few folks who say it's worthless.
Alternatively, I've looked at a horizontal such as a Carolina Windom.
The problem I have with this is that I only have one large tree to tie
off to. To do a horizontal right, I would have to have to use a mast
for the other end. I've also heard and seen several people that have
used some of the break apart masts to do this and they have ended up
with a broken mast.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can't go wrong with either antenna. Do know that the Titan comes in
two versions one for 80 and one for 75. Do not use your tuner with the
Titan, It's all in the directions You will love either one of 'em.

Butch KF5DE