Old September 9th 03, 02:56 AM
Reg Edwards

Roy and others,

Just a suggestion, don't place all your faith for this kind of work in old,
unknown, unproven, untrustworthy line-transmission calculating programs,
written in languages like insecure modifiable Basic, spreadsheets, etc., you
find lying around on the net.

Use programs COAXPAIR and RJELINE3 (balanced lines) for exact classical
analysis.

For example, proximity effect in close-spaced balanced lines is taken into
account.

Bugs, if any exist, are likely to result in obvious catastrophic errors.
After several years no bugs have come to light.

As with all human endeavour, hardware or software, Reliability is Quality
versus Time.
----
Go to http://www.g4fgq.com
=======================

PS: Very recently there's been a migration from the usual 'holy saints'
towards worship of the hitherto relatively unknown out-of-print works of
Chipman. Having had his book since shortly after he wrote it I can assure
you he is not infallible. But I hasten to add his few paragraphs about
magnitude of voltage and current reflection coefficients being greater than
unity seem OK. Well recommended. I wonder if the old timer is still
around?

The only error-free book of the very few I still have in my possession is by
W.L.Everitt who in 1937 showed how to calculate the internal resistance of
Class-A, B and C, RF power ampliers, a simple subject, apparently
disregarded by Terman as being of no consequence, but which has generated an
enormous amount of heat amongst radio 'amateurs' in this newsgroup during
the last few years and is still simmering like molten lava under the
surface.
----
Reg.