Old April 16th 04, 09:52 PM
Doug

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:32:10 -0400, "Mark Oppat"
wrote:

Are these Mackay 3010B receivers in the same calibur as a R-390's? Also,
what do these receivers generally go for?
Does anyone have one to sell?
email me direct at

I've used both aboard ship.
In my opinion, the R-390 is a much better receiver.

That Mackay 3010, as I remember it, had some sort of frame-grid
pentode as an RF amp that used to short out with any static discharge,
near lightning strike or simply being overloaded by the ship's
transmitters.

That green/yellow frequency dial tape was also a pain in the butt to
repair. Its sprocket holes would wear. Of course, I'm talking about in
heavy duty usage.

The mechanical digital readout of the R-390 series had it all over the
dial system of that Mackay.

I've seen the 3010 sell for about $500 to $800 in excellent condition.
One neat thing about it was its cast aluminum chassis with each sub
circuit housed in cast "pockets".

Don't get me wrong. The 3010 is an excellent receiver. I just think
that the R-390 (especially the "A") is a better one.

73,
Doug/WA1TUT