Old September 10th 03, 01:08 PM
Ken Bessler

"Andy" wrote in message
Hi Dave

I am new to all this. I have heard that the tuner might have problems
tunning on all bands if I don't use a 4:1 balun.

Are you saying that I don't need a balun just a choke?

What sort of choke would you reccomend buying for the job?

Thanks

Andy

Andy - I went through this with the group a few weeks ago. I
wound up winding 9 turns of rg8x coax around a 2-1/2" form
giving a coil with a 2-5/8" diameter (at the centerline of the coax).
I ended up with an inductance of 4.798 uH.

If you made the coil bigger it might be better - some on this
group expressed worries that such a tight coil would have
problems with the center conductor migrating to the inside
of the coil...... I simply used a form that I had.

After winding the coil, I glued it together with superglue,
dusted with baking soda (to set the glue instantly)......

BTW my antenna is a 153'2" dipole, wrapped around a
brick building - the antenna tunes 1.8-30 mhz with a Z11
tuner just fine. The antenna has a 1:1 swr at 2.390 mhz.....

Good luck!

Ken KG0WX