Old September 9th 03, 10:49 PM
Andy

Default which 4:1 Balun to use

Can anyone tell me what is the best 4:1 balun to use with a wire dipole
configuration a voltage or current balun?
I want to be able to tune with the FT-1000 MKV Field internal tuner.

Thanks

Andy

Old September 9th 03, 11:30 PM
David Robbins

"Andy" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what is the best 4:1 balun to use with a wire dipole
configuration a voltage or current balun?
I want to be able to tune with the FT-1000 MKV Field internal tuner.

Thanks

Andy

a 4:1 for a dipole?? all you need is a simple choke, especially if you are
going to have a tuner anyway.

Old September 10th 03, 10:55 AM
Andy

Hi Dave

I am new to all this. I have heard that the tuner might have problems
tunning on all bands if I don't use a 4:1 balun.

Are you saying that I don't need a balun just a choke?

What sort of choke would you reccomend buying for the job?

Thanks

Andy

Old September 10th 03, 01:08 PM
Ken Bessler

"Andy" wrote in message
Hi Dave

I am new to all this. I have heard that the tuner might have problems
tunning on all bands if I don't use a 4:1 balun.

Are you saying that I don't need a balun just a choke?

What sort of choke would you reccomend buying for the job?

Thanks

Andy

Andy - I went through this with the group a few weeks ago. I
wound up winding 9 turns of rg8x coax around a 2-1/2" form
giving a coil with a 2-5/8" diameter (at the centerline of the coax).
I ended up with an inductance of 4.798 uH.

If you made the coil bigger it might be better - some on this
group expressed worries that such a tight coil would have
problems with the center conductor migrating to the inside
of the coil...... I simply used a form that I had.

After winding the coil, I glued it together with superglue,
dusted with baking soda (to set the glue instantly)......

BTW my antenna is a 153'2" dipole, wrapped around a
brick building - the antenna tunes 1.8-30 mhz with a Z11
tuner just fine. The antenna has a 1:1 swr at 2.390 mhz.....

Good luck!

Ken KG0WX

Old September 10th 03, 03:58 PM
Tarmo Tammaru

Ken,

I thought you were using a real tuner. Having it work with a 1000MP internal
tuner seems optimistic. What's your SWR on 10m ?

Tam/WB2TT

Old September 11th 03, 02:46 AM
Bob Miller

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:55:06 +0100, "Andy"
wrote:

Hi Dave

I am new to all this. I have heard that the tuner might have problems
tunning on all bands if I don't use a 4:1 balun.

Are you saying that I don't need a balun just a choke?

What sort of choke would you reccomend buying for the job?

From the ARRL Antenna Book, for a 3.5-30 mhz choke, coil a 10 foot
section of coax into 7 turns, and tape them together rope-style (this
is for rg-8, 58, 59, 8x or 213).

Bob
k5qwg

"Andy" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me what is the best 4:1 balun to use with a wire dipole
configuration a voltage or current balun?
I want to be able to tune with the FT-1000 MKV Field internal tuner.

Thanks

Andy

a 4:1 for a dipole?? all you need is a simple choke, especially if you

are
going to have a tuner anyway.

Off Center Fed Dipole: Windom HSQ Charles Wittnam Antenna 8 September 2nd 03 01:25 AM
50-300Ohm balun Reg Edwards Antenna 2 August 31st 03 06:11 PM
How to test a balun? Henry Kolesnik Antenna 0 July 20th 03 05:25 PM
What kind of balun is it? whitehat Antenna 1 July 11th 03 12:52 AM