Old August 26th 05, 11:36 PM
Frank

"John A" wrote in message
See

http://homepage.eircom.net/~ei9gq/spec2.jpg

for a screen shot.

Assume the center is a zero frequency. Looks suspiciously like LO IF
overload to me. Try a 10 dB pad in the mixer output -- should be easy to
get at. As you mentioned there may be a mixer balance problem. I thought
the HP8558B used to plug in a HP141T display, but found a pic on the web,
and it appears to be a later generation. I have occasionally seen the
results of transmitting directly into those old spectrum analyzers, and in
the 70s, it was $1,000 for the attenuator, and $1,000 for the mixer. Sure
hope you don't have that kind of problem.

Regards,

Frank