Old September 28th 05, 12:55 PM
Chuck Harris

Gregg wrote:
While I agree with much that has been said about new caps being better,
AES has a fabulous reputation and I doubt they would risk it over some
capacitors. If they fail, send it back and you'll probably get them
replaced or money back.

Cool! Will they replace your transformer too? ;-)

As long as the NOS capacitor is still wet inside, it should reform if you
do it properly. Properly is with a power supply set to the WV, and
a 1K (or higher) resistor in series with the cap. It should take less
than 1 hour for the cap's current to drop to a few microamps. I have
never had a cap that has been reformed this way fail. (It is, after all
the way the manufacturer brought the cap up in the first place.)

I have had plenty of failures when I try and cheat by bringing up the
mains voltage slowly with a variac.

-Chuck