Old September 27th 05, 04:02 AM

Default NOS Electrolytic caps

AES sells NOS electrolytics and claim 'recently reformed' Would these
be any better than what's in the radio? I suppose years of using the
capacitors is more likely to dry out the electrolyte than years of
sitting on the shelf.

Any comments?

My boss gave me a bunch of 68uf/450v caps that I intend to hollow out
the big shiny cans and stick my free caps in. It takes a little bit of
time and epoxy, but worth it.

73
Bob
N9NEO

Just say NEO!

Old September 27th 05, 04:42 AM
Phil Nelson

Using any old electrolytic is a crapshoot. Why would you risk your expensive
power transformer running with original or "recently reformed" old
capacitors?

Burn up a couple of power trannies, as I have done to my dismay, and you
will use only "NEW NEW NEW" electrolytics.

The new caps are cheap and very reliable. And it's not hard to stuff them
into the old containers, as you noted, if you want to preserve the original
appearance. I could teach a 12-year old how to do it in 10 or 15 minutes.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Old September 27th 05, 03:45 PM
Scott Dorsey

AES sells NOS electrolytics and claim 'recently reformed' Would these
be any better than what's in the radio? I suppose years of using the
capacitors is more likely to dry out the electrolyte than years of
sitting on the shelf.

They will be better than failed capacitors. Beyond that, I would be
extremely suspicious of them.

My boss gave me a bunch of 68uf/450v caps that I intend to hollow out
the big shiny cans and stick my free caps in. It takes a little bit of
time and epoxy, but worth it.

Free caps, as in free beer or free speech?
--scott

Old September 27th 05, 09:24 PM
Avery W3AVE

Yeah, but 12-year-olds have better eyes and nimbler fingers.

Avery W3AVE
Potomac, Md.

Old September 28th 05, 05:34 AM
Gregg

While I agree with much that has been said about new caps being better,
AES has a fabulous reputation and I doubt they would risk it over some
capacitors. If they fail, send it back and you'll probably get them
replaced or money back.

--
Gregg "t3h g33k"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca

Old September 28th 05, 12:55 PM
Chuck Harris

Gregg wrote:
While I agree with much that has been said about new caps being better,
AES has a fabulous reputation and I doubt they would risk it over some
capacitors. If they fail, send it back and you'll probably get them
replaced or money back.

Cool! Will they replace your transformer too? ;-)

As long as the NOS capacitor is still wet inside, it should reform if you
do it properly. Properly is with a power supply set to the WV, and
a 1K (or higher) resistor in series with the cap. It should take less
than 1 hour for the cap's current to drop to a few microamps. I have
never had a cap that has been reformed this way fail. (It is, after all
the way the manufacturer brought the cap up in the first place.)

I have had plenty of failures when I try and cheat by bringing up the
mains voltage slowly with a variac.

-Chuck
Old September 29th 05, 02:14 PM
MIT

just dont send them any tubes as they have a problem with losing them and not paying.they used to have a good rep under
previous management.
mit