Old September 30th 05, 02:28 AM

Default SCOTLAND the BRAVE

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 19:14:19 -0400, Tony Meloche

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:13:54 GMT, Andrew Oakley
wrote:

British beer is typically 4% alcohol by volume, compared to American
beer at 2-3% ABV.

Tell that to the usual 5% beer sitting in my refrigerator.

Yup. The great majority of ordinary American "beers" (if that's
what you want to call the alcohol flavored barley water sold as "beer"
by the big concerns) weighs in right around 5% alcohol, give-or-take.
"Three Two beer" (3.2% alcohol) was commonly known as "near beer". A
wise man once observed that whoever naemd it "near beer" was a damned
poor judge of distance.

A draft of Guiness Stout has a lower absolute alcohol percentage
than a can of Budweiser.

Most foreign beers are 5% alcohol or higher - sometimes much higher -
and a few are lower than that, like the above-mentioned Guinness. But
you'll look awhile to find a name-brand American beer as *low* as 4% ABV.

Tony (Samuel Adams drinker)

My favorite beer joke, heard from an aussie is;

Q. Why do Americans like their beer ice cold?

A. So they can tell it from ****.