Old October 28th 05, 05:09 PM

Default SWL software recorders? Converters?

If you want to spend some money, I'd say buy a copy of Soundforge.
Since Sony bought the company, the software is now reasonable (maybe
$60). You can probably find someone who has a "lite" version of the
software that came bundled with Creative Labs sound cards.

For free software, I suggest ignoring MP3 and going for "ogg vorbis"
or "lame". Google will get you the programs that can handle those
compressors. There are too many to name, though the "qcd player" comes
to mind. You need to get one of its plugins to do encoding.

Itunes has an AAC compressor, but it is limited in that the audio has
to be sampled at 44.1Khz in stereo. However, if you happened to record
at 44.1/stereo and don't have sample rate conversion software, Itunes
would do the trick.

Lastly, there is the ACM Station. It has sample rate conversion and
format conversion in one program. I got it when it was free, but now
there is a charge. The user interface isn't very good but the program
does the job.

Krispy Kreme wrote:
I don't understand the questions regarding mp3 compression since mp3 is

already compressed.

Sorry, brain fart - I should've said wav to mp3. I have lots of wav files
and they are memory wasters.

TIA -