Old October 28th 05, 04:03 AM
Krispy Kreme

Default SWL software recorders? Converters?

Greetings all...

I have a raft full of mp3 files that I copied off of the air and wish to convert them to mp3 files in order to conserve memory. It's mostly interval signals and utes (like IAR's farewell message in CW - check out 8760 CW to hear the last of the titans) and not to rip off CD's, movies, etc. Anyone in UTE/Shortwave/Amateur land out there have any recommendations?

Also, I've been using VOX Recorder by Nino Porcino, which is a nifty piece of software that can be vox controlled. Is there any other software programs out there recommended by SWL'ers that can do formats such as mp3? Maybe even one that can record on a timer?

Thanks in advance! 73, The prince of pastry

Old October 28th 05, 11:16 AM
Krispy Kreme

I don't understand the questions regarding mp3 compression since mp3 is
already compressed.

Sorry, brain fart - I should've said wav to mp3. I have lots of wav files
and they are memory wasters.

TIA -

Old October 28th 05, 11:53 AM
NewsGuy

Well if the recordings are under 80 minutes, why not burn them to CD?
You can also get special CDs that record 90 minutes, and some even
longer, I think... but you need a burner that can accomodate that.

Old October 28th 05, 05:09 PM

If you want to spend some money, I'd say buy a copy of Soundforge.
Since Sony bought the company, the software is now reasonable (maybe
$60). You can probably find someone who has a "lite" version of the
software that came bundled with Creative Labs sound cards.

For free software, I suggest ignoring MP3 and going for "ogg vorbis"
or "lame". Google will get you the programs that can handle those
compressors. There are too many to name, though the "qcd player" comes
to mind. You need to get one of its plugins to do encoding.

Itunes has an AAC compressor, but it is limited in that the audio has
to be sampled at 44.1Khz in stereo. However, if you happened to record
at 44.1/stereo and don't have sample rate conversion software, Itunes
would do the trick.

Lastly, there is the ACM Station. It has sample rate conversion and
format conversion in one program. I got it when it was free, but now
there is a charge. The user interface isn't very good but the program
does the job.

Old October 28th 05, 08:16 PM

I use some free recording software called Audacity, and quite like it.
If you want to learn more about it, go he
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Old October 30th 05, 02:30 AM

I don't understand the questions regarding mp3 compression since mp3 is
already compressed.

True, but at varying bit rates, etc...When you convert
a wav to mp3, you can choose the bitrate, and decide
how much "compression" you want. Often many mp3's
can be further shrunk from their present file size with
not too much degradation in sound quality.
MK

Old November 2nd 05, 11:07 PM

Hi
You should have a look at dxzone.com, they have a dozen of audio
recording software, dedicated mainly to shortwave listeners.

I did also use Vox Recorder, it works for me.

Cybercorder is a good one too

http://www.dxzone.net/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=6296

73
yesmann