Old October 31st 05, 01:43 AM
Scott Dorsey

Default Old Xmtrs, "Ancient Modulation" and Amps

Lazy Senior wrote:
I recently acquired a Viking Ranger in nice working condx.

I am interested in using this on AM on 160, 80, and 40 mtrs. The Ranger
runs around 40 watts Am carrier output. I would like to get an amplifier
to use with this xmtr, maybe a vintage amp. What should I be looking
for? I would like to run legal Am Limit on these 3 bands. Should I
forget about Vintage Amps and get a modern Amp? Suggestions please. Any
pitfalls to using a modern Amp?

Put the thing on the air as it is and have some fun.

You can add an amp if you want, but give it a try with 40W and see
how you do. I bet you'll be surprised.

There are plenty of decent used linear amps out there if you want to go
that route, but if you think about it in dB, 1000W isn't _that_ much
more than 10W. Only a few S-units at the receiver.
--scott