Old November 5th 05, 06:13 AM

Default Question is 'it' a Longwire {Random Wire} Antenna -or- Inverted "L" Antenna ?

NOTE: The Amateur/HAM Inverted "L" Antenna is usually made-up
of Two Equal Sections One Vertical 'Leg' and One Horizontal 'Arm'.
These Two Equal Section can be:
* 1/8th Wavelength = Quarter Wavelength Total
* 1/4th Wavelength = Half Wavelength Total
* 1/2th Wavelength = One Wavelength Total
Because of the 'equal' proportionality, the Amateur/HAM
Inverted "L" Antenna is most often Higher above the Ground
then the SWL Version.

Actually most "ham" inv L's are also built to fit the lot,
except that total length is more important if you want it resonant,
or a certain length for performance.
The stock inv L is a quarter wave long. No matter the up/out
ratio. Few hams run 1/2 wave inv L's, unless they are using a
tuner, etc. The extended inv L is pretty common, and is usually
appx 3/8 or 5/8 wl long. It's often used to reduce ground losses at the

base, as the maximum current point is moved upwards off
the ground. It also will give more NVIS performance unless the
vertical section is very tall. The 3/8 WL version can be matched
with a cap. The 5/8 WL with a coil. The only band I've used an inv L
on was 160m. I've used both the 1/4 wave, and 5/8 versions.
The vertical section was 45 ft, and thrown up and over a tall tree
branch. But I yanked it down this last summer as it was redundant.
I already have a 160m Z dipole, and can feed my dipoles as a top
loaded vertical for long haul, so the inv L wasn't really needed.
The shorted coax dipoles that act as a top load vertical outperformed
the L most of the time. It's 42 ft tall. About the same as the L,
but it has much less radation at high angles being the top loading
is balanced. Unless you *want* some horizontal componant for NVIS,
etc, the T vertical actually has a cleaner vertical pattern. My Z
dipole
outperforms the L for horizontal NVIS.
MK