Old November 7th 05, 08:34 PM

Default Eton E1 vs. Sony ICF 7600 GR

Sky Captain wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about buying a new SW radio and and have noticed that
I can purchase a Sony 7600 GR plus ac adaptor and AN-LP1 antenna for
about half the price of an Eton E1. Is the Eton really worth the extra
money? Can anyone give me some guidance?

Sky Captain

The E1 is the better receiver, but the 7600GR is far and away the best
value. The 7600GR is also genuinely portable. I've traveled with mine
and it was no big deal. I wouldn't want to travel with a radio the size
of the E1, especially if we're talking about air travel.

If the E1 sold for $350, I'd say go for it. However, $500 is too much.
If you can bring yourself to contemplate spending nearly $500 on a
portable receiver, I'd encourage you to invest that money in a tabletop
receiver. No portable is really worth $500, so put that money into a
tabletop receiver that will give your better overall performance.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Steve