Old November 7th 05, 06:27 AM
Sky Captain

Default Eton E1 vs. Sony ICF 7600 GR

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about buying a new SW radio and and have noticed that
I can purchase a Sony 7600 GR plus ac adaptor and AN-LP1 antenna for
about half the price of an Eton E1. Is the Eton really worth the extra
money? Can anyone give me some guidance?

Sky Captain

Old November 7th 05, 11:17 AM

Suggest getting the 7600GR, good speakers / Headphones, a good external
antenna..

..... and an RF - free environment..

Old November 7th 05, 11:53 AM
DeWayne

"Sky Captain" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about buying a new SW radio and and have noticed that
I can purchase a Sony 7600 GR plus ac adaptor and AN-LP1 antenna for
about half the price of an Eton E1. Is the Eton really worth the extra
money? Can anyone give me some guidance?

Sky Captain

In case you don't know you can get the E1 for about $425 from Sharper Image
if it's your first order from them.

Old November 7th 05, 07:32 PM
junius

Hello Sky Captain,

Really, this is simply a matter of a) what type of radio you're
looking for and b) how much you're willing to spend.

It seems to me that you've narrowed your search down to two excellent
portable models, each a leader in its own niche. The '7600GR is
easily the best of the compact travel-weight portables currently on
offer, in my opinion. Its features/performance give it a clear edge
over the various Kaito, Degen and whatever other low-cost Chinese
models there are out there.

That said, the E1 seems to offer a lot that you're not going to find
in a compact travel-weight portable. Sadly, as for radios currently in
production, the E1 stands pretty much alone in the class of larger
portables. The frame of reference for the E1 should be such venerable
yet discontinued receivers as the Grundig Satellit 700 and Sony's
ICF-2010 and ICF-SW77.

A note on the price of the E1 and radios in its class: While the
'2010 retailed new for comparatively less ($350), the Sat 700 and
the 'SW77 retailed at $479 and $469.99 respectively (toward the very
end of its run, the 'SW77 was priced at 499.99 by Universal). The
$499.95 price tag on the E1, therefore, really isn't as outrageous as
some folk here might make it out to be, although it's easy to cast it
that way because there is no other radio currently on offer in this
class of portables. Actually, the price of the E1 is perfectly in line
with this class/caliber of receiver.

What are you getting with the E1 that you wouldn't with the
'7600GR? Well, in terms of performance-related features, you're
getting three bandwidth filters, as opposed to one with the '7600'
(quite a significant difference there). You're getting passband
tuning with the E1: something that neither Sonys nor the Grundig
offered. The sync detector on the E1 allows for double sideband, as
well as synchronous selectable sideband. The E1 also features
selectable AGC. You'll likely find the audio of the E1 is going to
be a cut above that of the '7600'; and if you're a program
listener, then you'll no doubt appreciate the fact that there are
separate bass and treble controls on the E1. The E1 would further have
advantage over the '7600' in terms of number of memories and the
provision of alpha-numerics for memory labeling (for whatever that's
worth to ya). The E1 provides a variable rate tuning knob, a nice
large display.... etc., etc. Other specifications can be read
elsewhere online.

Simply put, both the E1 and the '7600GR are excellent radios: the E1
a top-notch, fully featured larger-sized portable; the '7600GR a
distinguished travel-weight portable.

For a travel-sized portable, I'd swear by the '7600GR, and on a
recent trip overseas I lamented the fact that I had taken my Sangean
'606AP rather than the '7600': the performance of the '7600'
more than makes up for the small bit of extra weight/space. That said,
having used the '2010 and 'SW77 for many years, I like the
advantages afforded by the higher grade portables. For this reason,
having sampled a friend's E1 for a few days, I fully intend to
purchase one myself in the near future. I do a fair bit of road
travel, outdoor excursions and the like. This class of radio is
perfect for these sorts of outings, just as they're is a pleasure to
use around the house. Sure, I can see why some folks, for whom
portability is less of an issue or not an issue at all, might opt for
pay a bit more and grab an R75 or some other tabletop model. That's
all good and well. It's all matter of what ya need/want (and what
you're willin' to pay).

All the best in makin' your selection!

junius

Old November 7th 05, 07:40 PM

Get the Sony 7600GR radio.
cuhulin

Old November 7th 05, 07:41 PM

Screw eton1's.
cuhulin

Old November 7th 05, 07:43 PM

Screw sharper image.They too high price on all of their lousey no good
crap!
cuhulin

Old November 7th 05, 07:54 PM

eton1's have an AM band too,,, guess what? from thingys I have read
about them wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overrrrrrr prrrrrriced no d..n good
plastic eton1's before,,,, them wayyyyyyyyyy overrrrrrrrpriced
eton1's,,,, they don't even have AM antennas in them.You want
wayyyyyyyyyy overrrrrrrpriced plastic bells and whistles that you will
probally never use or care that much about? buy an eton1.You want a much
better portable radio that you will honestly get more use from? Buy a
Sony 7600GR radio.

Mammys little baby loves shortnin,,, shortnin,,,,,, mammys little babby
loves shornin breadddd,,,,,,,,,,
cuhulin

Old November 7th 05, 08:05 PM
Invader3K

To the original poster: I don't have experience with either radio (I do
own and really enjoy my Grundig Satellit 800, which is basically the
precursor to the E1). There are good reviews of both models you're
asking about at www.radiointel.com. I know both have gotten really good
reviews. Obviously there is a bit of a price difference between the two
models you're considering.

I won't go as far as most people on this board who immediately defer to
Sony over anything by Grundig/Eton, though.

Old November 7th 05, 08:34 PM

Sky Captain wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about buying a new SW radio and and have noticed that
I can purchase a Sony 7600 GR plus ac adaptor and AN-LP1 antenna for
about half the price of an Eton E1. Is the Eton really worth the extra
money? Can anyone give me some guidance?

Sky Captain

The E1 is the better receiver, but the 7600GR is far and away the best
value. The 7600GR is also genuinely portable. I've traveled with mine
and it was no big deal. I wouldn't want to travel with a radio the size
of the E1, especially if we're talking about air travel.

If the E1 sold for $350, I'd say go for it. However, $500 is too much.
If you can bring yourself to contemplate spending nearly $500 on a
portable receiver, I'd encourage you to invest that money in a tabletop
receiver. No portable is really worth $500, so put that money into a
tabletop receiver that will give your better overall performance.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Steve