Old November 15th 05, 05:08 AM

Default Handling 450 line...??

Laying out a 16 element "Sterba" into Europe...
Getting the 450 line into the shack!!
1.- Should I float the 450 line into some 2 inch PVC
through the wall then mid-air it 5 feet to the tuner....??

I've never used notched-plastic, looks-like-wide-TV 450 line, but I have
used true "open wire" kind (two parallel wires with 1" separation and
little insulators every six inches), and to get that through a wall I
used two ceramic "tubes" from old "knob and tube" house wiring by drilling
two holes with 1" separation thru the wall (with a slight downward slant
so water runs out), cut the 450 line at the appropriate place, remove one
insulator (to give a little working room), thread wires thru insulators,
and solder the line back together inside the house....

A RELATED QUESTION: what is(are) the difference(s) between the two kinds
of 450-ohm line? I suspect the velocity of the true open-wire kind is a
little higher and loss and moisture effects are a little lower than for
the partially-covered-in-plastic line?
--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge