Old November 14th 05, 05:57 PM
Bill

Default Handling 450 line...??

Laying out at 16 element "Sterba" into Europe...

Getting the 450 line into the shack!!

1.- Should I float the 450 line into some 2 inch PVC
through the wall then mid-air it 5 feet to the tuner....??

2.- Or should I mount the 4:1 balun on the outside then bring co-ax through
the wall ...then 5 feet top the tuner....

3.-..Or...??

TNX,
Bill

Old November 14th 05, 06:14 PM
Reg Edwards

Just bring the two 450-ohm wires close together for a few inches and
bring them into the shack through a small, single, insulated hole in
the wall or window frame.

Once inside the shack you can do what you like with it for the few
feet between the hole in the wall and the tuner / transmitter.
=======================================

Old November 14th 05, 06:25 PM
Cecil Moore

Bill wrote:
Laying out a 16 element "Sterba" into Europe...

What is the feedpoint impedance? Single band?

Getting the 450 line into the shack!!

If the feedpoint impedance is around 50 ohms and it
is single band, feed it with N*1/2WL of ladder-line
through a 1:1 current/choke balun. Coax can be run
from the balun into the house.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old November 15th 05, 05:08 AM

Laying out a 16 element "Sterba" into Europe...
Getting the 450 line into the shack!!
1.- Should I float the 450 line into some 2 inch PVC
through the wall then mid-air it 5 feet to the tuner....??

I've never used notched-plastic, looks-like-wide-TV 450 line, but I have
used true "open wire" kind (two parallel wires with 1" separation and
little insulators every six inches), and to get that through a wall I
used two ceramic "tubes" from old "knob and tube" house wiring by drilling
two holes with 1" separation thru the wall (with a slight downward slant
so water runs out), cut the 450 line at the appropriate place, remove one
insulator (to give a little working room), thread wires thru insulators,
and solder the line back together inside the house....

A RELATED QUESTION: what is(are) the difference(s) between the two kinds
of 450-ohm line? I suspect the velocity of the true open-wire kind is a
little higher and loss and moisture effects are a little lower than for
the partially-covered-in-plastic line?
--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
Old November 15th 05, 12:50 PM
'Doc

Bill,
You can do it either way, just not that critical. Or,
as Reg suggested, or Cecil. Or, put a board in a close window,
drill a couple of holes in it about an inch apart and run
'connection' wires through from ourside/inside (or a couple
of bolts).
I'm sure you'll get other suggestions...
'Doc

Old November 15th 05, 07:02 PM
Edward A. Feustel

"Bill" wrote in message
. ..
Laying out at 16 element "Sterba" into Europe...

Getting the 450 line into the shack!!

1.- Should I float the 450 line into some 2 inch PVC
through the wall then mid-air it 5 feet to the tuner....??

2.- Or should I mount the 4:1 balun on the outside then bring co-ax
through
the wall ...then 5 feet top the tuner....

3.-..Or...??

TNX,
Bill

My 600 ohm open line comes in through a horizontally sliding basement
window.
I simply use fiberglass insulation on either side of the line and bring it
in with the
one conductor above the other. Then I use the sliding window to put
compression
on the insulation.
Ed, N5EI

SWR - wtf? john d CB 136 July 2nd 05 08:31 PM
SWR - wtf? Roy Lewallen Antenna 110 July 1st 05 05:30 AM
How to measure soil constants at HF Reg Edwards Antenna 104 June 25th 05 10:46 PM
swr question Fred W4JLE Antenna 27 June 1st 05 01:45 AM