Old November 15th 05, 09:45 PM
Chuck W.

Default 1/4 vertical antenna height

CA wrote:
"Mike Luther" skrev i meddelandet
Chuck

Chuck W. wrote:
Is there any major advantage of mounting a Butternut vertical on top of
my house which would put it around 45 feet versus ground mounting it?
Seems like for years I've worked lots of stations with ground mounted
verticals. So long as I've got lots of radials I would have a low
angle of radiation, yes?

Thanks,

Chuck
W1CEW

Check this page:
http://www.qsl.net/df3lp/projects/vertical/index.html

"Do not mount groundplane antennas at heights between 0.25 and 1.25
wavelength. At those levels above ground most of the energy will be radiated
at angles of 27° to 45° into the ionosphere. This phenomenon seems tobe
independent to the number of radials or other counterpoises. Further
simulations indicates that this is true for all other variants of vertical
antenna systems too. "

73
SM6PXJ Chris

Thanks!

Looks like a groundmounted vertical is the way to go for low-angle DX.
I'll watch out for the lightning as well!