Old November 29th 05, 03:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Kim

Default The "newcomer quotient" --- a serious policy question

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Kim" wrote

One of my points exactly. If someone really is such an awful amateur

radio
operator, they'll disappear from the airwaves soon enough

They didn't disappear. They never even existed.

Well...you're still referring in terms of the fictional group of people you
posted about. There is still the reality that "crappy" radio amateurs are
generally ignored or otherwise discouraged from on-the-air participation,
etc. So, after some time, they'll usually "disappear." That's why CW/or no
CW requirement (if CW was ever used as a filtering mechanism as some
claimed), the filtering mechanism is other radio amateurs.

I've found that most of those who are labeled "appliance operators" at

club
gatherings already know each other real well because they are the most
involved in the amateur community.

"involved in the amateur community" means what? Most of us are hobbiests,
loosely connected by common interests like contesting, DXing,

experimenting,
repeater support clubs, public service interests, etc., etc. I derive

great
enjoyment from my experimenting and contesting, and I have a half a wall

of
"recognition" for various public service activities, but I don't consider

myself
part of any "community" of amateur radio.

I would define amateur community as the whole population of all amateurs.
You may not consider yourself a part of the whole, but you are (to me).

And, while the solderers have been busy
yakking and impressing each other with all that stuff (truly important

for
the heritage, yes, but not necessary knowledge in today's world),

Are you suggesting that technical curiousity and experimentation is no

longer
needed? That everything has already been invented, so no new knowledge in
electronics/radio communications is needed?

Absolutely not! I would think you know me better than that. You are either
completely ignoring or completely missed the open paren/close paren part of
my response. What is intended in that is that, some-not-all, grumpy old
amateurs choose to spread the word that "all that stuff" is still as
necessary as ever for radio operation. Which, IMNSHO, is untrue. One can
walk into any store and pick up a radio and have it working inside of a few
minutes these days. And, hallelujah for that. The "stuff" of amateur radio
is still very, very important for a lot of reasons; not the least of which
would be the heritage quotient, experimentation as you've so aptly pointed
out, and for the real nitty-gritty science of the art of amateur radio. I
DO, however, choose to recognize that there are those amateurs who just
plain aren't interested in that aspect. And, I don't call them any less an
amateur.

"appliance operators" have researched the internet for the best of the

best,
have saved their money up and equipped themselves for most emergency
situations and are ready for public service with the touch of a few

buttons
and the attachment of a few connections.

I disagree. There is a small and very valuable cadre of dedicated hams in

ARES,
RACES, DMCS, AERO, SATERN, and similar public service/disaster recovery

groups.
By and large they are above average in their technical qualifications, and

they
take their roll very seriously.

MMmm, I would choose to disagree with your belief, and it would be
interesting to find out which of us is closer to the truth on the matter.
Oh wait! You said "small." OK, I'll go along with that. BUT, wouldn't you
also give that others involved in public service take their role very
seriously as well? I mean, really. I know some folks who've spent
thousands on being prepared and being able to fully serve; and I know the
"small" group you refer to. Do we place more value on the amount of money
one has spent on preparedness or how "above average" they are in technical
qualifications? I think that each in their own right are just as
valuable--given that the propensity to volunteer is equitable.

Then there is a larger group of "fair weather volunteers" who are eager to

grab
their handheld and rush to provide public service communications for the
marathon or the walkathon, but only so long as their 2 batteries hold up.

They
impress each other by the number of T-shirts they've gotten from the local
chamber of commerce for these outings.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Absolutely. I agree totally with that.

Kim W5TIT