Old December 8th 05, 11:46 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Richard Carlson, N9JIG

Default Adding serial ports to PC notebook

In article .com,
"Hatfield" wrote:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...3001&sku=30511

I need to connect two radios to my new notebook which has no serial
ports, rigs are Icom R75 SW rcvr and RS Pro 75 scanner.

Link above is to a $65 CardBus card with 2 serial ports. Any thoughts
if this type of interface might be more compatible to various serial
devices than a USB/serial adaptor?

Thanks for any advice...

I have used the Socket serial port adaptors in my laptops for years and
they work great. They even work with DOS applications such as Trunker.
See http://www.socketcom.com/product/serial.asp for details on them.

They seem to be more compatible with DOS or DOS based applications than
built-in serial ports, probably more to the drivers than anything else.

The card you linked to seems like it should work, I have never used that
one though.