Old December 8th 05, 08:44 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Hatfield

Default Adding serial ports to PC notebook

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...3001&sku=30511

I need to connect two radios to my new notebook which has no serial
ports, rigs are Icom R75 SW rcvr and RS Pro 75 scanner.

Link above is to a $65 CardBus card with 2 serial ports. Any thoughts
if this type of interface might be more compatible to various serial
devices than a USB/serial adaptor?

Thanks for any advice...

Old December 8th 05, 11:46 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Richard Carlson, N9JIG

In article .com,
"Hatfield" wrote:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...3001&sku=30511

I need to connect two radios to my new notebook which has no serial
ports, rigs are Icom R75 SW rcvr and RS Pro 75 scanner.

Link above is to a $65 CardBus card with 2 serial ports. Any thoughts
if this type of interface might be more compatible to various serial
devices than a USB/serial adaptor?

Thanks for any advice...

I have used the Socket serial port adaptors in my laptops for years and
they work great. They even work with DOS applications such as Trunker.
See http://www.socketcom.com/product/serial.asp for details on them.

They seem to be more compatible with DOS or DOS based applications than
built-in serial ports, probably more to the drivers than anything else.

The card you linked to seems like it should work, I have never used that
one though.
Old December 10th 05, 12:27 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Hatfield

http://store.yahoo.com/buyextras/syseatapcca.html

Above is a Syba branded, CardBus to Serial-ATA 2-port host adapter
under $25 and looks like this store has 30 day return policy (15%
restocking fee).

Has anybody around here tried one of these?

By the way the Cables to go product I mentioned on the first message is
for sale at TigerDirect for $50...

All real SWL's are cheapstakes, e.g. myself....

Old December 10th 05, 03:13 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Hatfield

My apologizes for confusing a HD serial ATA port with a RS-232 port
:*(. So, to now post more sensibly I will quote Bob Sillett who
created the freeware SWLog (logging/radio control for HF rcvrs)
recommends as follows in his FAQ:

" It is getting more and more difficult to find a computer with a real
serial port. Many times a USB-to-Serial adapter needs to be used. If
you currently have a USB-to-Serial adapter and it works for you, great!
But if you are looking for an adapter, we recommend the IOgear GUC232A
adapter. This adapter works very well and it also fully works with the
Sysinternals Portmon serial monitor tool, which is a great tool for
troubleshooting. Plus the IOgear adapter is only $25 or so and, as of
Winter 2005, can be found in pretty much every Wal-Mart."

Incidentally Sillett's page is:

http://www.shortwavelog.com/default-english.html

Old December 19th 05, 08:59 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Mike M.

On 9 Dec 2005 16:27:58 -0800, "Hatfield"
wrotF:

http://store.yahoo.com/buyextras/syseatapcca.html

Above is a Syba branded, CardBus to Serial-ATA 2-port host adapter
under $25 and looks like this store has 30 day return policy (15%
restocking fee).

Has anybody around here tried one of these?

By the way the Cables to go product I mentioned on the first message is
for sale at TigerDirect for $50...

All real SWL's are cheapstakes, e.g. myself....

I believe the card you linked to is for serial ATA hard drives NOT
RS-232 com ports. I use a Socket I/O card in an old Toshiba laptop to
provide a second comport. No problems. I paid around $30 shipped for a
used one on eBay. There are some listed now, new and used.
http://computers.search.ebay.com/serial_PCMCIA-Cards-for-Laptops_W0QQcatrefZC6QQfromZR2QQfrppZ50QQfsopZ1QQs acatZ42190QQsbrsrtZlQQsotrZ2

My old laptop can't use cardbus cards so it was harder to find one
that would work.