Old December 15th 05, 04:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Highland Ham

Default To build or not to build

If everything works out this weekend I should have about 10w or so to
drive into a linear. My friend here in town thinks I should buy used
Dentron Clipperton or Heathkit. I don't think 10watts would do either
justice. If 10w would give me a KW out with a commercial unit I would
consider buying a good used unit.

That's a 20dB amplification ...a bit much for a single stage amp.
You need a 10 dB intermediate stage ,resulting in 100 W output.
The final 10 dB to 1 kW can then be achieved with a (standard) Poweramp.

Frank KN6WH / GM0CSZ