Old November 14th 03, 01:44 AM
charlesb

"Dick" wrote in message
You would never know it by looking through their website. I see
packet radio all over the place. I have always considered TAPR to be
the "father" of today's TNC's.

TAPR kitted the TNC2, twenty years ago. Things have changed since then, and
it has turned around to where hardly anybody at TAPR wants anything to do
with amateur packet radio, and most especially not with packet radio
networking. Packet figured large in TAPR's beginnings, but things change and
it is no longer the central focus of interest for that organization that it
once was.

The "packet radio" stuff in TAPR's name and on their web-site reflect an
earlier era in TAPR's history that is long past. It's a millstone around
their necks, contributing to their present internal confusion and lack of
focus. A lot of the unseemly and un-ham-like nastiness toward other hams
(packet enthusiasts) from TAPR folks springs from this dichotomy. This is
not doing TAPR any good, and of course it is bad for the hobby as well.

If TAPR dropped the "packet" stuff altogether and concentrated on what they
do best, both TAPR and the packet radio enthusiasts in the U.S. would be a
lot better off.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL
Director: USPacket.Net
http://www.uspacket.net