Old December 21st 05, 02:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Default KAITO 1103 question

Eton radios are nothing more than rebadged Degen and Tecsun receivers.
So if they wanted to eliminate any potential competition from Eton all
they have to do is stop supplying them!

The Kaito-Degen radios seem to offer more bang for the buck than the
Tecsun models being sold under the Eton name. I'm curious, which Degen
radios are currently being sold under the Eton name?

I saw in PWBR that there's this DE1106 that Degen was going to produce
but they "sold the '1106's rights to another firm" (Eton). That radio
will be sold as the E5. I wonder if manufacture of this unit will be
by Degen in Shenzhen? In any case, this E5 looks likely to be a better
performer than the E10 or E100 (both of which seem somewhat mediocre in
comparison with the price and performance offered by the Kaito-Degen
models). Perhaps Eton bought the rights so that they could slap a
$150-plus price on this radio w/out being undercut by China-based
internet retailers (i.e. that eBay fellow in Guangzhou) selling a
DE1106 at a fraction of the price.

I'm still unclear on the relationship between Degen and Tecsun. They
seem to be internationally marketed through the same distribution point
in Hong Kong. There was once some Leowood guy who posted in here,
building up a lot of hype over some (presumably) forthcoming DE1108,
and this guy gave out some line that Degen used to once be a Tecsun
subsidiary but that it was now a separate and independent company. I
don't know if he was full of it about that and about the 1108. He had
claimed to be doing research on consumer preferences and that sorta
thing. Anyone ever heard anything since about this '1108?

Junius