Old December 23rd 05, 04:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

Default message sent to [email protected]

"jon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings Frank! Cuhulin aside, what news server do you use? I use
Google and am not very happy with it. Let me know as I would
appreciate it. Merry Christmas to all! Jon in South Carolina.

I'm using the news server which comes with my AT&T worldnet service. Both
worldnet's web server and news server have worked very well for me since I
signed on about three years ago. Worldnet's least expensive dial-up package
used to be a great deal, but it's gotten more expensive and there's now
plenty of other inexpensive packages which beat it in price. I have no
intention of changing services, as long as worldnet stays reliable and
doesn't jack up their prices unreasonably.

Some ISPs might have a news server for their subscribers. It might be worth
a phone call or e-mail to find out.

I'm using Outlook Express as my usenet reader. I have no doubt there are
better newsreaders than OE, but OE serves the purpose for me. I've played
with Forte's Agent/Free Agent for reading groups and it seems like a good
product, but, in my case, I just don't have the motivation to learn
something new. I suppose it might also be worth asking the group about
various newsreaders and what are the most useful features.

Of course, my expectations of "good service", "inexpensive" and "serves the
purpose" might be not be very high. I used to be an AOLer.

Frank Dresser