Old December 20th 05, 04:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Caveat Lector

Default message sent to [email protected]

Whtta ya nuts or somethin
This is a free unmoderated NG
I would much rather read Cuhulin's posts than the constant political rants
and repeats of the news I get off of CNN, etc
His one-liners rival Charlie Weaver's Mount Idy letters
Example of Charlie Weaver humor

Peter Marshall: Which of your five senses tends to diminish as you get
older?

Charley Weaver: My sense of decency.

Bravo Cuhulin

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"dk" wrote in message
oups.com...
Your off topic comments about all the radios you have, politics, movies
you watch, ladies that live next to you, etc, are really detractiing
from the usefuleness of this list. Please, please, take your comments
elsewhere - I'm sure that there is some group that would be more
appropriate for these types of comments - Maybe try some yahoo group or
someting, I don't know, but it doesn't belong here on
rec.radio.shortwave.

I would welcome other comments on this issue!

Old December 20th 05, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

"dk" wrote in message
oups.com...
Your off topic comments ...

[snip]

I would welcome other comments on this issue!

Why try to change what he posts? If he's bothering you, quit whining --
just killfile him!

Or are you actually trying to read this group from google? If so, I suggest
you sign up with a real news server, and killfile the posters which are
continually annoying you.

Frank Dresser

Old December 20th 05, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
the ding-a-ling of 3.9-- mHz

wrote in message
oups.com...

.................................................. ..........................
.................................................. ..
THINK OUTSIDE THE POLYTETRAHEDRON: read cuhulin. Cuhulin is the
Marshall McLuhan of rec. radio. You never know what idea he is going to
spin off. All you cookie-cutter mass-mind types can just ignore him but
I suspect he has many readers. I am constantly amazed at the number of
world-wide readers of rec.radio who rarely post. Maybe they are trying
to figure out cuhulin. I notice that occasionally he drops his Beverley
Hillbillies routine and lets out some pretty good stuff that is out of
character. Maybe he is just yanking your chains. Further analysis
welcomed.

Excellent observation from an astue gentleman !

If youself and Cuhulin will perchance be at Dayton 2006
please allow me to purchase both of you gentlemen a
drink. Not just a beer, a mixed drink from the menu.

I'm not a cheap ass like most of the hams at Dayton.

Old December 21st 05, 03:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mike W

That's what earns 'em the big PLONK in my newsreader. I enjoy off topic
funnies as much as the next guy but strings of 3-5 consecutive posts
containing random streams of consciousness get tiring to trudge through
after a while.

"dk" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, I do read this group from google, but will be changing that soon.
I'm more concerned with how the newcomer to shortwave radio will take
these riduclously off topic posts. Personally, some of his comments
are quite funny, and I understand those who defend him. But still,
there seems to be way to many posts from sincere newcomers (or sincere
oldtimers) to SW that have their topics cut off and hijacked by this
guy. That's what really bothers me.

Old December 23rd 05, 06:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
jon

Greetings Frank! Cuhulin aside, what news server do you use? I use
Google and am not very happy with it. Let me know as I would
appreciate it. Merry Christmas to all! Jon in South Carolina.

Old December 23rd 05, 04:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser

"jon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings Frank! Cuhulin aside, what news server do you use? I use
Google and am not very happy with it. Let me know as I would
appreciate it. Merry Christmas to all! Jon in South Carolina.

I'm using the news server which comes with my AT&T worldnet service. Both
worldnet's web server and news server have worked very well for me since I
signed on about three years ago. Worldnet's least expensive dial-up package
used to be a great deal, but it's gotten more expensive and there's now
plenty of other inexpensive packages which beat it in price. I have no
intention of changing services, as long as worldnet stays reliable and
doesn't jack up their prices unreasonably.

Some ISPs might have a news server for their subscribers. It might be worth
a phone call or e-mail to find out.

I'm using Outlook Express as my usenet reader. I have no doubt there are
better newsreaders than OE, but OE serves the purpose for me. I've played
with Forte's Agent/Free Agent for reading groups and it seems like a good
product, but, in my case, I just don't have the motivation to learn
something new. I suppose it might also be worth asking the group about
various newsreaders and what are the most useful features.

Of course, my expectations of "good service", "inexpensive" and "serves the
purpose" might be not be very high. I used to be an AOLer.

Frank Dresser