Old December 31st 05, 06:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Highland Ham

Default Ground Plane construction vs pre-printed "protoboards"

I've done carefully constructed dead bug (ugly) RF hardware that works
well at 2.4ghz and is not ugly It's a very effective techniques and
with modest care it's difficult to do better with etched circuits at
VHF or higher.

Some of my best radios and test gear have been built this way
and some test items are now several decades old. It can be very
rugged as well.

============================
Ugly construction can in fact be very neat.
I normally use double sided PCB and drill holes to suit such that
components to be grounded can be fitted perpendicular directly to the
board without wire ends. These then also serve as support for
non-grounded components. If non-grounded components are on their own I
fit 10 MOhm resistors as 'practical stand-off insulators'. Where
inductance is a critical element I use metal film resistors for this
duty ,but normally carbon film resistors are fine.
All board mounted components are soldered to board on both sides such
that both copper sides are bonded at various places.
Integrated circuit are glued 'dead bug style' with ample opportunity to
connect other components.
For VHF and higher I line the board edges with folded very thin copper
strip.
I am fortunate having found a roll with 6mm wide strip with a total
length sufficient 'for life', at a flea market.

Frank KN6WH / GM0CSZ