Old January 1st 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default QRP is for sissies!

From: on Sun, Jan 1 2006 7:24 am

K0HB wrote:
wrote

Len would probably recognize it.

Len does homebrew QRO?

Don't know.

Nope. No QRO and no HRO or DRO or PLO.

I've used commercial wideband high-power VHF amplifiers for
testing in professional work. Smaller than shown in the
photo.

But the 3cx10,000a7? Hardly amateurish. Probably more in the domain
of professionals.

Sounds rather ILLEGAL to me if "used on 80m" as claimed by
the seller.

Not something that HRO or even Henry Radio would feature in
catalogs ("call or write for details and prices"). Pro stuff,
probably intended for something rather different than pure
communications.

From the looks of the exhaust vent in the E-bay photo, I'd say
that it should be about a 10-gallon RF output thing, quite out
of the amateur legal limits. Besides, it doesn't have enough
knobbies on it to "qualify" for an amateur radio transmitter
on "the bands" (HF).