Old January 11th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
RST Engineering

Default Zener Noise (was: 1N4007 varactors)

OK, then. A zener makes a poor noise source according to what I'm reading.
Noise.com used to sell off-spec diodes by the onesies for we poor peons to
play with, but for whatever reason that doesn't seem to be the case any
more.

Given that a zener (at whatever current) is a poor noise source, what is a
good source of electronic broadband noise from low HF through high UHF --
say, 5 to 500 MHz.? (No smart remarks about spark gaps.)

Jim

"Winfield Hill" wrote in message

We took
bench measurements, did calculations, found the scientific
literature (it was a subject that occupied physicists in the
late 50s, see posts 72-76), and we did plenty of speculation.