Old January 16th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Dave Platt

Default Any CDR's known to work with old CD drives???

In article ,
Gudmundur wrote:

Just looking for a more easily 'readable' CDR that my old laptop
may find easier to deal with. The laptop reads store bought 'master'
CD's just fine, music or data, it's the less reflective CDR surface
that trip this thing up.

You might want to try to find a supply of older-chemistry blanks which
are designed to be burned at speeds no greater than 4x or so, or even
the specialized "audio CD recorder" blanks (some of these are
optimized for burning at 1x). I've heard reports that these may have
a stronger recovered-signal level than newer high-speed blanks do
(thicker dye layer in the old variety??).

I've generally had good luck with Taiyo Yuden blanks. Used to like
TDK a lot - their "metal-stabilized cyanine" media seemed to be quite
good - but they seem to have stopped making their own blanks and are
OEM'ing from companies like Ritek.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO