Old January 15th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Gudmundur

Default Any CDR's known to work with old CD drives???

Hi folks,

Problem is this, My old Panasonic CF-41 laptop works great with
my GPS/APRS goodies, but the internal cd drive doesn't seem to
want to read CDR's. This was a common problem with older 4x and
slower drives. I suspect the internal drive is a 4 speed and working
to original specs perfectly.

Have you found any CDR's that consistantly seem to work with old
drives?

At home I hook my BackPack cd drive up to the laptop and all is well,
but on the road that is not an option.

Thanks for any leads!

Old January 15th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
an_old_friend

Gudmundur wrote:
Hi folks,

Problem is this, My old Panasonic CF-41 laptop works great with
my GPS/APRS goodies, but the internal cd drive doesn't seem to
want to read CDR's. This was a common problem with older 4x and
slower drives. I suspect the internal drive is a 4 speed and working
to original specs perfectly.

Have you found any CDR's that consistantly seem to work with old
drives?

having dealt a bit with similar problem I think your problem may be
more with the controling software than the writing drive

XP esp is not a good choice

look for one the older cd burning programs and try bruning the at 1x
speed

Old January 15th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Gudmundur wrote:
Hi folks,

Problem is this, My old Panasonic CF-41 laptop works great with
my GPS/APRS goodies, but the internal cd drive doesn't seem to
want to read CDR's. This was a common problem with older 4x and
slower drives. I suspect the internal drive is a 4 speed and working
to original specs perfectly.

Have you found any CDR's that consistantly seem to work with old
drives?

I can't say 100%, but I've had good luck with the following techniques:

1. Use disks with a recording surface that looks yellow (aka "gold").
There are different dyes used and that seems to work the best.

2. Record at no faster than the read speed of the drive.

3. For some unexplained reason, the best luck I have had is with a DVD
burner (I've done it with 3 different ones, LG, Toshiba and NEC)
at single (CD 4x) speed.

4. Turn off any buffer overrun protection. It works by streching out the gap
between sectors and the new gap may be too big for older drives.

5. Always make sure you finalize the disk, close the sessions, fixate
(same thing different software).

6. A CD lens cleaning disk has saved many a drive for me. But I live in
the desert.

I've had great luck with TEAC blanks, they are marked 12x to 52x but they
do work at lower speeds.

Software issues:

I often burn my CDs and DVD roms using a combination of UDF and ISO
file systems. Older operating systems seem to have trouble with them,
limit them to ISO file systems. If you really get stuck, try turning off
rock-ridge and joliet extensions.

Good luck,

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
The trouble with being a futurist is that when people get around to believing
you, it's too late. We lost. Google 2,000,000:Hams 0.
Old January 16th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Dave Platt

In article ,
Gudmundur wrote:

Just looking for a more easily 'readable' CDR that my old laptop
may find easier to deal with. The laptop reads store bought 'master'
CD's just fine, music or data, it's the less reflective CDR surface
that trip this thing up.

You might want to try to find a supply of older-chemistry blanks which
are designed to be burned at speeds no greater than 4x or so, or even
the specialized "audio CD recorder" blanks (some of these are
optimized for burning at 1x). I've heard reports that these may have
a stronger recovered-signal level than newer high-speed blanks do
(thicker dye layer in the old variety??).

I've generally had good luck with Taiyo Yuden blanks. Used to like
TDK a lot - their "metal-stabilized cyanine" media seemed to be quite
good - but they seem to have stopped making their own blanks and are
OEM'ing from companies like Ritek.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

How to work satelites? [email protected] General 3 December 13th 04 08:28 PM
Best Home Base Work Reynard Policy 0 November 9th 04 04:54 PM
Here it is-BPL full rollout in Va Brian Kelly Policy 459 December 2nd 03 12:40 PM
R/S Solderless BNC Connectors: How Can They Possibly Work Well ? Robert11 Antenna 10 November 22nd 03 11:46 PM
Geller Media [email protected] Broadcasting 0 September 19th 03 09:03 PM