Old January 16th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default adding some extra wire to existing antenna

THE age-old,question; " How can I FIT a BIG,160m antenna INTO a
small yard ? ? .....

In as most sneaky manner as possible. You could try adding to the
ends. The usual double bazooka is made mostly from coax, and
actually has more loss than using plain wire. The loss gives it the
wider bandwidth. There is no free lunch.. :/ I'm on a regular city
lot, and I've been able to fit in inv L's, and also have a "Z" dipole
that I can use. At the momen, I'm now running a 80 turnstile, and
40 dipole on one coax. On 160, I short the shield to center pin,
and load it as a top loaded vertical. "four 60 ft top loading wires,
and appx 42 ft height of the feedline". For all around use, it's
my best antenna, but sometimes the Z dipole beats it for NVIS
stuff. If you can fit a 80 dipole, you can probably fit a full size
160m Z dipole. Inv L's work pretty well, but I recently took mine
down as it was redundant, and the top loaded worked better most
times. I tried Hi-Q coil loaded dipoles, but the Z dipole was better
here. No inductor loss. No tuner needed either. It's fairly efficient.
But later at night the vertical is generally best for most distances.
MK