Old January 23rd 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
St. John Smythe

Default Icom IC-R5 or Yaesu VR-120D

Pete Boyd wrote:
"St. John Smythe" wrote in message

Which "they?"

The Icom or Yaesu.

Starting with the understanding that radio receivers represent
compromises between sensitivity, and selectivity and front end
overloading, the problem with the little receivers is that by the time
you get enough antenna on them to provide good signals, you may also
have overloaded them with either in-band or out-of-band signals.

As someone who appreciates compact things, it pains me to say this, but
scanners are best at scanning, and shortwave receivers are best at
shortwave. I use a BC246T for portable scanning, and a Sangean ATS-909
for portable shortwave. I would have much preferred to have a single
unit that did it all, but as far as I know, such a thing (good enough
filters, BFO at the right place in the passband, trunking) doesn't yet
exist.

--
St. John
Flugg's Law: