Old January 23rd 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Pete Boyd

Default Icom IC-R5 or Yaesu VR-120D

I'm thinking of getting a new handheld scanner, mainly for listening to
shortwave stations, the amateur radio bands, CB and airband. The above two
receivers seem appropriate (and about the same prince in the UK - £140).
I don't really understand the specs as to which is most sensitive. Anything
else I should be looking for?

Any other suggestions for other makes appreciated.

Thanks
Pete

Old January 23rd 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
St. John Smythe

Pete Boyd wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a new handheld scanner, mainly for listening to
shortwave stations, the amateur radio bands, CB and airband. The above two
receivers seem appropriate (and about the same prince in the UK - £140).
I don't really understand the specs as to which is most sensitive. Anything
else I should be looking for?

Any other suggestions for other makes appreciated.

For shortwave, amateur HF and CB, handheld scanners are sub-optimal
performers. There are some nicely capable portable units, although not
in the walkie-talkie form factor, such as the Sangean 909, which are
*much* better performers in those bands.

--
St. John
One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to
Old January 23rd 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Pete Boyd

"St. John Smythe" wrote in message
Pete Boyd wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a new handheld scanner, mainly for listening to
shortwave stations, the amateur radio bands, CB and airband. The above
two
receivers seem appropriate (and about the same prince in the UK - £140).
I don't really understand the specs as to which is most sensitive.
Anything
else I should be looking for?

Any other suggestions for other makes appreciated.

For shortwave, amateur HF and CB, handheld scanners are sub-optimal
performers. There are some nicely capable portable units, although not
in the walkie-talkie form factor, such as the Sangean 909, which are
*much* better performers in those bands.

THanks for your msg.
How are they when connected to a different antenna eg when I'm at home?

Pete

Old January 23rd 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
St. John Smythe

Pete Boyd wrote:

How are they when connected to a different antenna eg when I'm at home?

Which "they?"

--
St. John
Old January 23rd 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Honest John

"St. John Smythe" wrote in message

For shortwave, amateur HF and CB, handheld scanners are sub-optimal
performers. There are some nicely capable portable units, although not
in the walkie-talkie form factor, such as the Sangean 909, which are
*much* better performers in those bands.

I certainly agree !

H.J. ( proud owner of a DX-398 )

Old January 23rd 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Pete Boyd

Pete Boyd wrote:

How are they when connected to a different antenna eg when I'm at home?

Which "they?"

The Icom or Yaesu.

Old January 23rd 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
St. John Smythe

Pete Boyd wrote:
"St. John Smythe" wrote in message

Which "they?"

The Icom or Yaesu.

Starting with the understanding that radio receivers represent
compromises between sensitivity, and selectivity and front end
overloading, the problem with the little receivers is that by the time
you get enough antenna on them to provide good signals, you may also
have overloaded them with either in-band or out-of-band signals.

As someone who appreciates compact things, it pains me to say this, but
scanners are best at scanning, and shortwave receivers are best at
shortwave. I use a BC246T for portable scanning, and a Sangean ATS-909
for portable shortwave. I would have much preferred to have a single
unit that did it all, but as far as I know, such a thing (good enough
filters, BFO at the right place in the passband, trunking) doesn't yet
exist.

--
St. John
Flugg's Law:
Old January 24th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Buzzygirl

"Pete Boyd" wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting a new handheld scanner, mainly for listening to
shortwave stations, the amateur radio bands, CB and airband. The above two
receivers seem appropriate (and about the same prince in the UK - £140).
I don't really understand the specs as to which is most sensitive.

Anything
else I should be looking for?

I don't think you'll be able to find a truly decent performer for all of the
bands you want to hear in the size you want. These small receivers try to
do everything at once, but unfortunately, they don't do it particularly
well. Best to stick with a portable SW receiver for shortwave listening, and
get a separate scanner for the higher bands. On a positive note, there are
small portable SW receivers that work very well at a very reasonable price,
and the same goes for scanners.

Jackie