Old January 24th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Good radio listening speaker

I have a nice die-cast Radio Shack bookshelf speaker I bought probably
15 years ago that I use on my SW/Ham radios. It's not a perfect speaker
but it's fairly mellow, not at all tinny, and extremely durable.

I think Radio Shack sold them as outdoor/patio type speakers when I
bought them and I seem to recall the name "Minimus-7".

I go to look at Radio Shack and they don't have anything like this
anymore. They've got some really crappy plastic-tinny sounding speakers
that I don't like at all, and would probably break the first time I
looked at it funny.

What speakers are available in durable die-cast housings these days?
And I hate tinny sound (like comes out of a PC-clone speaker). I
refuse (just out of abhorrence of the sound) to look at any PC or
PC-with-amplified-subwoofer crap speakers.

Did I mention that I don't want any PC speakers, and they all sound
awful? (Hint, hint, DO NOT SUGGEST THIS OPTION!)

Tim.