Old January 24th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Good radio listening speaker

I have a nice die-cast Radio Shack bookshelf speaker I bought probably
15 years ago that I use on my SW/Ham radios. It's not a perfect speaker
but it's fairly mellow, not at all tinny, and extremely durable.

I think Radio Shack sold them as outdoor/patio type speakers when I
bought them and I seem to recall the name "Minimus-7".

I go to look at Radio Shack and they don't have anything like this
anymore. They've got some really crappy plastic-tinny sounding speakers
that I don't like at all, and would probably break the first time I
looked at it funny.

What speakers are available in durable die-cast housings these days?
And I hate tinny sound (like comes out of a PC-clone speaker). I
refuse (just out of abhorrence of the sound) to look at any PC or
PC-with-amplified-subwoofer crap speakers.

Did I mention that I don't want any PC speakers, and they all sound
awful? (Hint, hint, DO NOT SUGGEST THIS OPTION!)

Tim.

Old January 24th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
John S.

wrote:
[...]

I agree, the Minimus 7 speaker worked very well for shortwave listening.

Old January 24th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Michael Lawson

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You can find minimus-7's and 77's on eBay. I
found a couple at a yard sale last year. If you
find one and you want to upgrade it a bit,
you can go to partsexpress.com and you
can find a project there that someone did to
replace the drivers in the minimus-77's to
achieve better sound.

--Mike L.

Old January 24th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
RHF

ML,

The way 'we' the Visualize Words that make-up a Link/URL .

Some See "partsexpress.com" as : Parts Express .Com

while others see "partsexpress.com" as : Part Sex Press .Com

with both my eyes crossed - xx ~ RHF
Old January 24th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Harold E. Johnson

I think Radio Shack sold them as outdoor/patio type speakers when I
bought them and I seem to recall the name "Minimus-7".

Tim, you might also search for the name "Optimus" Same cast Al case and
speakers with internal crossover networks. Same speakers as the Minimus,
different timeframe. IMHO, neither sound near as good as a good set of
stereo phones, but agree that it's easier to demonstrate to visitors using
the speakers.

Regards
W4ZCB

Old January 24th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

A good heavy speaker mounted in a wood box/cabinet.Good quality heavy
wood.And there are ways you can build partitions in the wood cabinet to
redirect the speaker sound,sort of like Bose Wave Radios.
cuhulin

Old January 24th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Why not check out the auto junkyards for some good quality speakers
(look for the most expensive junk cars in the junkyards) and mount them
in an appropiate size wood box cabinet?
cuhulin

Old January 24th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
RHF

Default Good Speakers for Radio-Receiver Listening - Mainly for the Human Voice and some Music

Tim / TE,

Look on eBay for one of the Center Channel Speakers from a
Sound-A-Sound System that has a Wooden {Particle-Board}
Speaker Enclosure. These usually have a Pair of 4" to 5.25"
Mid-Range Speakers and a much smaller Tweeter placed
between them.

Here is an Example of a Center Channel Speakers Listed on eBay :
JBL EC25BE 2-Way Dual 5-Inch Center Channel Speaker
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ5858432743
The NorthridgeTM E Series EC25BE center channel loudspeaker was
custom-designed to superbly reproduce the human voice. Many movie
soundtracks consist mainly of dialogue, so that the center speaker
shoulders the burden of filling a home theater.

"The 'SOUNDS SWEET' Communications speakers maximize intelligibility
from your transceiver, receiver or portable by reproducing only the
communications voice and shortwave music frequencies coming from your
SSB, AM or FM communication or shortwave radio."
GoTo= http://www.soundssweet.com/
A Little "Pricey" at $99.

Also, if you are using one of the 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios.
Check-Out the Kiwa "Audio" Mods for a better sound from your radio.
[The Speaker is only as 'good' as the electronics that is driving it.]
KIWA= http://www.kiwa.com/index.html

READ - External Speaker for your Radio/Receiver
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...336ee14f676aba

Question - You Can Hear It ?

ABOUT - The Heil "Clear Speech" DSP Speaker
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...772c31f172d69f

If you can find one check-out the Kiwa
Multi-Band AM Pickup {MAP} Speaker with HF Filter
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ5814704340

Another Speaker designed for Radio/Receivers was the
GROVE SP-200 Sound Enhancer Communications Speaker
with Audio Filter System.
http://www.universal-radio.com/used/u088lrg.jpg
http://www.universal-radio.com/used/u088rear.jpg
http://www.universal-radio.com/used/sold213.html
http://www.naswa.net/journal/1997/09/equip199709

FWIW - External Speakers for the ICOM IC-R75
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icomr75/message/4360
Here are the Two Most Often Recommended External Speakers
for the Icom IC-R75; as suggested by the Members of ths eGroup.

#1. RCA Mini-Speaker Pro-X33AV
Radio Shack Cat #40-5000
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icomr75/message/1312
A shielded 2-way speaker with a 3" woofer
and a dome tweeter about 6.5" high.

#2. RCA 20-Watt Full Range Mini-Speaker
Radio Shack Cat # 40-5024
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icomr75/message/2031
A shielded full range 4" speaker. It is a Black 5" cube.

NOTE: The general comment is that both of the above external
speakers in the "Black Color" looks very sharp next to the R-75.

OTHER - Speakers mentioned frequently that are good with the R75.
* Optimus PRO-X88AV's RadioShack Cat # 40-2084.
* Barjan PROnouncer (320-25) 4".
* Radio Shack XTS 25 (40-1999A)
* Radio Shack 21-549A isn't a 'full range' music speaker. It is
a 'communication/voice' speaker.
* Minimus 7 Speaker by RadioShack 4" Speaker
* KLH 911's (2-way semi-compact at about a foot tall)
* Mocom 70 4".
* Grove SP-200B sound enhancer

NOTE - Most 'matching' Speakers offered by OEM manufactures
are basic 3"-4" Speakers in a Sealed or Ported in Metal Enclosure
designed to opperate on a few Watts output. A simple Speaker in
a tin box for $60-$120. But Hey it 'matches the Receiver and has
the OEM's 'Brand Name' on it.

READ - External Speakers for Shortwave Radio/Receivers
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...a6bdeca0db0f0c

just my two cents worth ~ RHF
[ more than you wanted to know ]