Old January 25th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

Default Sangean ATS-909 vs. Sony ICF-7600GR

Hello.

I would strongly suggest buying the Sony ICF-SW7600GR along with a Sony
AN-LP1 antenna as quickly as possible. The AN-LP1 has been discontinued
in North America, but several dealers, including AES and Universal,
still have some - for how much longer no one knows.

The Sony radio, in addition to having a synchronous detection circuit
which really enhances MW and SW reception, is built to a very high
construction standard for a portable. (My oldest sample is almost eight
years old.) The Sangean does not have this detection circuit which, in
my opinion, is one of the most significant enhancements to AM reception
since single sideband.

I have personally owned two Sangean radios - the ATA-808A and the
ATS-606AP (both made in Taiwan as is the ATS-909) - both of which
"died" after rather short lives. In my opinion, Sangean radios are not
constructed with a great deal of integrity. The Sangean ATS-909 has
more "features" (though none of really great importance) than the Sony,
but, frankly, having been "burned" twice, I would not buy or recommend
one. I have never had even a single problem with ANY of my Sony
portables (two ICF-SW35s, two ICF-SW7600Gs, and five ICF-SW7600GRs, as
well as five AN-LP1 antennas).

If you are interested in the Sony SW radio line, I suggest you act very
soon.

Best,

Joe