Old February 7th 06, 11:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default advice request please guys

Hello Rikk,
I am not sure if you have already decided/purchased etc. Anyhow, I have
owned two of the receivers in question, the one I have not used is the
Kenwood so I can't give an opinion except that Kenwood make good
receivers.
The Target is a nice receiver and for the price (new) is good value.
However, if I was to make a choice today I'd buy the Sony. It will do
most things well and nothing badly. It's also excellent as a general
radio, the FM reception through ear phones is very good. SSB is good
too. I used my one with a Sony ANLP active indoor antenna for the SW
part of the spectrum and it was excellent, made a big difference. The
Sony AN-1 active antenna also made a difference plus it was useful on
LW/MW too.
The Target will need an outboard antenna of course while the SW77 will
give good results on the whip arial but of course an antenna outside or
at least an active one indoors is even better. If you do purchase an
antenna instead of making your own then I can sing the praises of the
Wellbrook made ALA1530. It's gives full coverage from 1khz to 30mHz and
is exceptional.
I had no problems with either receiver and they both lasted me well. I
sold them on and to the best of my knowledge they are still working.
Good luck!
Alan
Rikk wrote:
Hi, I posted a short while ago regarding your views on the Sony Sw77
I have my eye on 3 radios on ebay, here in the UK.
Which of the three would you recommend the most please,
taking into account I like to listen to the Radio Amatuers and Utility
stations as well as SW Broadcast bands
Thanks for your advice guys,,they are................

Sony ICF-SW77

Target HF3

Trio / Kenwood Communications Receiver. Model R200

cheers
Rikk
UK