Old February 3rd 06, 09:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Rikk

Default advice request please guys

Hi, I posted a short while ago regarding your views on the Sony Sw77
I have my eye on 3 radios on ebay, here in the UK.
Which of the three would you recommend the most please,
taking into account I like to listen to the Radio Amatuers and Utility
stations as well as SW Broadcast bands
Thanks for your advice guys,,they are................

Sony ICF-SW77

Target HF3

Trio / Kenwood Communications Receiver. Model R200

cheers
Rikk
UK

Old February 3rd 06, 10:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Rikk wrote:
taking into account I like to listen to the Radio Amatuers and Utility
stations as well as SW Broadcast bands
Thanks for your advice guys,,they are................

Sony ICF-SW77

This would be the better choice for listening to broadcasts. The
Sync detector makes a big difference. In the U.K. it may not, my experience
here in Israel is the European SWBC stations pin the S meter or don't
show up at all. The long periods of fading in and out that I heard in
the U.S. don't seem to exist here.

Target HF3

No idea.

Trio / Kenwood Communications Receiver. Model R2000

Great radio, no sync detector but you can fake it with ECSS (tuning
an AM station in SSB mode). This requires a really stable receiver.

Much better at receving hams and utility stations. 90% of ham voice
traffic is in SSB (LSB below 9mHz except for 5mHz, USB above), and
99% of utillity traffic is in USB.

Good luck.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old February 3rd 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Does Kenwood still manufacture Shortwave Radios.I have never owned a
Kenwood Radio before,but I have always thought they were good Radios.
cuhulin

Old February 3rd 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.jpost.com I read JPost once in a while.I have a girlfriend (sort
of anyway) in Jeruselum.I get Real News from her as regards events going
on in Israel.Seeee,webtv isn't so dumb after all.I am smarter (or
dumber,depending on how y'all [www.yall.com] look at it) than the
average Bear.
cuhulin

Old February 3rd 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dk

definitely dumber... you prove that with every post to this group.

Old February 5th 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Rikk wrote:
taking into account I like to listen to the Radio Amatuers and Utility
stations as well as SW Broadcast bands
Thanks for your advice guys,,they are................

Sony ICF-SW77

This would be the better choice for listening to broadcasts. The
Sync detector makes a big difference. In the U.K. it may not, my experience
here in Israel is the European SWBC stations pin the S meter or don't
show up at all. The long periods of fading in and out that I heard in
the U.S. don't seem to exist here.

You're very close to Europe, so the ones you don't hear are probably
being beamed to South America or West Africa or something. Anything
beamed to Asia or Europe (there are a bunch of signals from Europe to
Europe) you likely get. Anything else, you don't.

Old February 7th 06, 11:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hello Rikk,
I am not sure if you have already decided/purchased etc. Anyhow, I have
owned two of the receivers in question, the one I have not used is the
Kenwood so I can't give an opinion except that Kenwood make good
receivers.
The Target is a nice receiver and for the price (new) is good value.
However, if I was to make a choice today I'd buy the Sony. It will do
most things well and nothing badly. It's also excellent as a general
radio, the FM reception through ear phones is very good. SSB is good
too. I used my one with a Sony ANLP active indoor antenna for the SW
part of the spectrum and it was excellent, made a big difference. The
Sony AN-1 active antenna also made a difference plus it was useful on
LW/MW too.
The Target will need an outboard antenna of course while the SW77 will
give good results on the whip arial but of course an antenna outside or
at least an active one indoors is even better. If you do purchase an
antenna instead of making your own then I can sing the praises of the
Wellbrook made ALA1530. It's gives full coverage from 1khz to 30mHz and
is exceptional.
I had no problems with either receiver and they both lasted me well. I
sold them on and to the best of my knowledge they are still working.
Good luck!
Alan

Old February 7th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Rikk

Hi Alan
Thanks for your comments, they are very much appeciated.
Rikk

ups.com...

Did you guys notice KC8QJP Policy 7 February 6th 05 12:03 AM
FCC AND AKC SUCK $#!#! EMPEROR OF THE UNIVERSE CB 6 December 30th 04 06:04 PM
i confess Steveo CB 18 December 15th 04 05:20 AM
The Power Of the AKC Cry_Keyclowns_Cry CB 63 October 24th 04 02:47 AM
N8WWM's Trace-route information NIW CB 1 February 4th 04 03:49 PM