Old September 25th 03, 07:44 AM
Roy Lewallen

Thanks for the tip. That's a good low-cost solution, and anything
lasting 5-10 years there should last nearly a lifetime here. I've also
found that you can get plastic electrical boxes intended for outdoor use
at reasonable cost at home supply stores. They'd be a good choice if
something sturdier is needed, and they should put up with the sun ok.
Some plastics are definitely much better than others, and a lot of 'em
don't last long at all.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Crazy George wrote:
Roy:

You will find that a yellow Prestone anti-freeze bottle will last at least 5
years, and likely 10. We get plenty of UV here in S. Texas, and I have
found them to have the highest survivability of any plastic except Lexan.
My 160 meter tuner is in one, as I didn't want to use a small coil or a
large metallic enclosure. I use 2, cut the top off of one and invert it,
and then use the inverted bottom from another as a press fit closure. No
fasteners needed, although I usually put a couple 6-32 screws through the
resulting double flange for good measure. The old red bottles were equally
as good, but now hard to find.

And for Ken, the best way to seal the end of that psuedo air line is some of
the shrink tubing with the filler adhesive inside. Then point the sealed
end DOWN.
--
Crazy George