Old February 15th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
BDK

Default Why Noise When No Broadcast Happening, etc. ?

In article ,
says...
Hello:

Was wondering about this:

When I tune to most any frequency with my scanner, the noise level is
really, really high when there is no
broadcast going on at that moment on that frequency.

When one does come on, it's as clear as a bell. This is true for the fm as
well as
the AM channels.

Of course, the Squelch control pretty much takes care of the problem, but
was wondering if
this is "typical" ?

What is the source of the noise, possibly:

the radio itself ?
atmospherics ?

Or,... ?

Thanks,
Bob

Well, yeah, that's what it is, partly from the radio (not a whole lot of
it in most cases, except the really cheap/bad designs) and
atmosphere/ionosphere conditions. Part of the noise from the radio
itself is due to it being so sensitive and widebanded.

Not only is it typical, it's a 100% certainty. They all do it, from a 50
buck cheapie to a $2000 dream machine.

That's why they all have a squelch knob on them.

BDK