Old September 26th 03, 12:05 AM
Dave Shrader

Tom, rho^2 represents the fraction of forward power that is reflected.

The squaring function produces a positive value.

Rho represents the percentage of voltage or current. Rho^2 is the power
function.

Dave

Jim Kelley wrote:
Hi Tom,

Since rho represents the fraction of forward power that is reflected,
what does a negative value for rho indicate?

Thanks,

Jim AC6XG

Tom Bruhns wrote:

Hi Dave (and lurkers),

Well, if rho=Ir/If, then the net current on the line is If-Ir, NOT
If+Ir. You have to be careful about directions, and be careful to
define things and stick with those definitions. I usually use
Zo=Vf/If=-Vr/Ir, so that Ir and If measure "positive" in the same
physical direction along the line, and then of course
rho=Vr/Vf=-Ir/If. If that's at all hazy, just draw a picture and it
should be clear. Anyway, rho=+1 at a point of zero net current,
either way you define the current direction, and rho=-1 at a point of
zero net voltage. No Smith chart, and no Zo, needed to figure that
out.

Cheers,
Tom

Dave Shrader wrote in message news:iBkcb.568264$o%2.253779@sccrnsc02...

Hmmm ... Tom rho also equals Ir/If. Now if the line is open circuited
... the net current is zero (i.e. at an open circuit). Therefore Ir =
-If, and rho is a -1.

Comment?

Tom Bruhns wrote:

I trust we can all agree that the definition of rho is rho=Vr/Vf, and
I trust we can all agree that on a TEM line, the net voltage
Vnet=Vr+Vf. If the net voltage is zero (i.e. at a short circuit),
then clearly Vr=-Vf, and rho=-Vf/Vf=-1. Then whatever formula you
chose to use to find rho at a load from the load impedance, Zload, and
the line characteristic impedance, Zo, better work out right for a
short circuit termination. Note that "rho=(Zload-Zo*)/(Zload+Zo)"
does NOT work for that simple case, unless Zo*=Zo. But
"rho=(Zload-Zo)/(Zload+Zo)" does work. You can easily go through
something similar for an open circuit load. Note that rho=-1 for a
short circuit load, and rho=+1 for an open circuit load, independent
of line impedance.

Cheers,
Tom

(Tom Bruhns) wrote in message ...

It's even easier than that. Using the _definition_ of reflection
coefficient, rho = Vr/Vf, we see that Vr=-Vf and therefore the net
line voltage at that point is zero (that is, Vf+Vr, or Vf-Vf, or
zero). That's either a real short or a virtual short.

Cheers,
Tom

"David Robbins" wrote in message ...

lets see...

rho = (Z - Zo)/(Z + Zo)
if rho = -1 then

-1=(Z-Zo)/(Z+Zo)
or
-1*(Z+Zo)=(Z-Zo)
or
-Z - Zo = Z - Zo
or
-Z = Z
the only value i know that satisfies that is zero.
lets substitute it back in to be sure...
-1=(0-(50+j50))/(0+(50+j50))
-1=(-50-j50)/(50+j50)
-1=-1(50+j50)/(50+j50)
-1=-1 qed.