Old August 29th 03, 05:26 PM
tom Holden

(Walter) wrote in message . com...
Hi,

I have a Radio shack Dx-394, it has AM, LSB,USB,CW1, CW2.

I've been using AM, because I didn't see anything on the NCDXF/IARU
website about it being anything but AM. I may have missed it.

So I should use USB, and if it claims 14100, I should tune to 13400?

thanks.

You can use the DX-394's LSB/USB/CW1/CW2 modes to receive Morse coded
interrupted CW. The CW1 and LSB modes have the same frequency
alignment and the USB and CW2 modes have identical frequency
alignment. The CW mode introduces a sharp audio filter that is
bypassed in the SSB mode. Ideally, both pairs of modes would have the
same frequency alignment and you would hear zero beat in all 4 modes
when tuned to the carrier of an accurate reference such as WWV. In
practise, improper factory alignment and drift result in a difference
between LSB/CW1 and USB/CW2. When properly aligned, you would tune
higher than the carrier frequency by 0.6 to 1 kHz when in LSB/CW1
modes and tune low by the same amount if in the other modes to hear a
beat note in the 600-1000Hz range. Due to misalignment, your practise
may need to be different.

For more on the DX-394, join the 450 member Yahoo!Group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RADIOSHACKDX394/ .

73, Tom VE3MEO