Old February 23rd 06, 08:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Nathan Bates

Default Borg Johnson

Well, I read up on the other el-cheapo radios like the Bell & Howell,
Walgreens Lifelong, etc., and the Borg-Johnson seemed like the best deal
for the money.
It has the extended FM range (64Mhz-108Mhz), MW (526Khz-1606Khz), lower
TV channels, and SW broken up into 9 bands from 4.70Mhz to 21.95Mhz. Not
full continuous coverage, but not bad. Most of what Im getting inside
the apartment is in the 4.70Mhz to 10Mhz range. Above that seems pretty
quiet, and Im assuming thats because Im in among all these big brick
buildings. It doesnt have an external antenna jack, so I plan to get a
clip on wire to try outside (well, inside too) when the weather warms
up.
I think its a good radio for someone just getting started. Or to just
knock around with. Its solid, heavily built. Over a half pound without
batteries, like a brick with the 2 D cells installed. Tunes pretty
smoothly. Sound quality is fairly good. They seem to be on ebay
regularly for about $10 plus $5 or so shipping. Dug around on there and
got mine a little cheaper. For the price, Id say it would be hard to
beat.
Was just waiting on the Star Trek Borg reference, knew it was coming )
Regards,
Nathan